Sunday, April 21, 2013

Welcome Back...

There was not much action on the blog last week. After the horribleness of last Monday in Boston I had a hard time getting back to blogging. I had a little over ten miles on Saturday morning to work out some of the emotions of last week with a few of my favorite running friends.

This photo just moved me. I can't imagine being part of a race and experiencing something like this. I am so proud that my hometown race the OKC Memorial Marathon has invited the runners from Boston to participate in our race next weekend.

I will be putting on my red compression sleeves next Sunday morning and Boston will be on my mind when I cross the starting line. I am determined that I will be in Boston one day. I might not qulify until I am 80 but I will be there.

I thought I would participate in the Fitness Friday Linkup this week.

Tomorrow is officially race week. As I have said before on this blog, I love Race Week. Sure it is a little more exciting when it involves travel, but it is also nice to be able to make my own pre race past dinner and sleep in my own bed the night before a race. Working only a couple of blocks from the race start and right down the street from the finish line also makes for great parking, indoor pre race bathrooms, and shelter from rain delays before the start.

We had a few speedy runs last week. Our six miles on Tuesday averaged a 8:45 pace, with a few of the miles under 8:30. My legs felt pretty beat up afterwards, so it was probably not the best idea to do sprints on the treadmill Wednesday morning. We ended up wimping out of our Thursday morning run. I couldn't bring myself to go back to the Y to run on the treadmill that morning, but I felt less guilty about it after Saturday.

We had perfect running weather Saturday morning, and it makes me so mad to have such a great day the week before the race, because chances are the weather will be total crap next Sunday. Our run was unsupported because our favorite running store owner was out of town for a fishing trip. It was weird to be worried about our own water/fuel stops for our run. We headed from OK Runner, north through Brookhaven and changed our route to the "flats" a little bit. It was a nice change of pace, and we got some hills in through a neighborhood just north of our regular route.

Ten miles at a an 8:30 pace, and I felt pretty strong throughout the run. It felt good to have a strong run and the chance to work through some emotions. I am hoping to have a strong race on Sunday. It is strange that this will be my first half marathon in OKC. I had gone from the 5k to the marathon. It'll be fun to run my race and then cheer on my friend Sarah who is running her second marathon this month. I thought I might regret dropping from the full to the half, but I feel like I am running strong and am ready to go out and have fun and run strong.

I got to have a girls' weekend with Camy and Carson because Josh was out of town this weekend, but I talk about that later.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that 10 miler was a great pace! I dream of sub–9:00 paces, especially on long runs. Still got some work to do. Good luck on your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed like not so long ago I could barely run three miles and a ten minute pace seemed impossible. If I can do it anyone can. :-)

      Delete