Saturday, March 2, 2013

Being Smart is Less Fun...

First thing first, I got my hair cut today. Finally! It has been four months since my last hair cut and I was looking a little scraggly.

I got quite a bit cut off, and it feels much lighter. I am wondering how it will look curly. I hate to spend time fixing my hair, but maybe it will look better if I do.

Anyway, last night at about 11 oclock, I was almost tempted into running a half marathon tomorrow. My friend Rochelle is running the Arbuckle to Ardmore Race for Mercy half marathon in the morning and she almost talked me into signing up. Registration closed at midnight last night and she decided at about 10:45 last night that she was definitely going to do it. I'm not going to lie, I was almost tempted. This race was supposed to be my first half marathon back in 2010, but I never got to run it because I had surgery on my left knee.

Funny, the fact that I ran a marathon last Sunday wasn't what kept me from signing up for the race. For most normal people that would be enough, but the fact that the only miles I logged last week were the two brutal treadmill miles that I was convinced I needed to run on Moday ended up being the true decider.

I had no idea if my legs even worked anymore. Okay, rationally, I know that my legs still work. It's just that it would really stink to drive down for a half marathon and have my legs feel completely like crap and then have to struggle through the miles feeling like total crap. I guess on any given race day you can feel like total crap. This particular race is downhill for the first nine miles and I just am not so strong on the downhill.

After deciding to be smart and just stick with a Saturday morning run, I got to bed much later than I would have liked in order to get up to meet the group at 7 am. When my alarm went off at 6:15 I was so tempted to just roll over and go back to sleep. I didn't, I got up, put on my layers and headed out to see how my legs have recovered for a very chilly 20 something degrees teperatures.

Are you wondering how it went? I will tell you. 6.65 miles in 59 minutes, and my legs felt fabulous! Fastest mile was the second one and it was about an 8:29 pace, slowest mile was the sixth one and it was about 9:10 and that was because we got stopped at a light. It was one of those days where it feels like you could run forever, thought I might have had to slow down a bit.

I learned something very valuable during the run this morning. I got an impromptu gait analysis , I never realized I tend to twist a bit when I swing my arms instead of moving them in a forward motion. Seems this can cause shoulder pain, which I have had on longer runs. Now I need to think about how to change that up, it's not going to be easy.

After our ran I redeemed a Groupon and hit up a hot yoga class at Yoga at Tiffany's. The class was completely packed, it was a little too packed. I have been taking at hot yoga class at Ashtanga Yoga and I really like it, but being packed into the room this morning was not as fun for me. I will try some more of their classes, but I don't think I would pay for any more classes after that. I will have to see how it goes.

The day ended with this.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment