Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Hills and Veggie Stew...

I love Saturdays, I love getting up and getting ready for a long run.

Today the plan was hills from Craig's house, I initially thought I was doing 12 hilly miles. I was a bit overdressed. Temps in the 30s, winds about 10, felt like it was in the 20s, but the sun was coming up when we started. My Underarmour and Brooks running tights made my legs feel good, but the long sleeve cold weather top I snagged from Target last night, with a short sleeved top and my Brooks half zip were a bit much on top. I shed the half zip and ear warmers at the first pit stop. It is nice to have someone driving around providing water, GU, fig newtons, and tissues on a long run.

I was a little behind the pack today, but I am working on it not getting me down mentally. I felt good running today and that is what I am going to start focusing on. I tried to clear my head of the negative thoughts and it worked.

My foot felt better today. I had a blister band-aid to cover this up.

And my favorite running shoe expert made me an extra insert to put in my right shoe. It did feel better so once this is healed up I am hoping it will not return.

The plan was to have a route for 12 miles, but I decided that 8 hilly miles was enough for me. I am not really working with a marathon plan for my Maybe Cowtown Marathon next month. My non-plan consists of running whatever Craig tells me to run, and he said it was okay to just do 8. I think I needed a run that didn't feel bad physically or mentally, and even though another 4 miles might have felt the same as the first 8, I am okay with calling it a day.

The advantages of an 8 mile run are that there was no ice bath, and there will be no compression socks today. I might even get in a nap. The longer our Saturday runs, the less I am able to nap after. I think I just get too tired to take a nap, and I don't think that will be a problem today.

I got home, made some green tea and decided to throw a veggie stew in the crock pot. It's been pretty cold and this should make my house smell really good. I might even make some homemade honey butter rolls to go with them.

So here's what I threw in the crock pot.

Onion

Potatoes

Mushrooms

Carrots

Red Lentils (I had regular lentils, but I got these at Whole Foods and it makes them seem fancier somehow)

V8

Assorted spices, oregano, basil, salt, McCormick grill seasoning, garlic

Here's what it looked like.

It was all very scientific. I guess in about 8 hours or so we will see how it all turns out. If it doesn't then it'll be PB&J for dinner.

I'll keep you posted.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment