Monday, April 9, 2012

Losing the Boot…

My friend Rochelle, the person I had planned to pound the pavement with for 26.2 miles had an awesome 20 mile run on Saturday. She ran with our friend Patti, who is not running the marathon, but is willing to throw down a 20 miler for a friend who is. Amazing. {Side note about Patti, she ran Boston last year. She ran Boston after recovering from her own stress fracture with minimal training. I had a quite unproductive day at work that Monday last year. Between the text updates and the live streaming updates on the race, I can't wait to hear about the race next Monday.}

So since this is my blog, let's talk about me now.

Well, just in case you haven't heard me complain enough about my stress fracture, I'm here to talk about it again. I swear, another three weeks and I'll be talking about hitting the streets with all my running friends and we won't speak of this unfortunate event again.

Well maybe once more. Or twice. We will have to see how it goes.

So tomorrow will be three weeks that I have been in the boot; my doctor said I had to wear it too more weeks when we talked two weeks ago. My problem now is that I am worried about not being in the boot. I still have three weeks until I am going to be able to run again, provided that all goes well on the 17th when I go back to the doctor. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed. But if three weeks in the boot is good, would four be better? How about five?

I didn't wear it at all yesterday, but I was just hanging around the house, getting my baking therapy on, and watching tv. I don't think I'd want to think about walking around the grocery store without it right now, but eventually I am going to have to.

***************************************************************************************************

Note to self; GO TO THE GROCERY STORE. Who knew that Target would be closed for Easter? Not this girl. It has been two weeks since I've done any real grocery shopping because Sam's doesn't really count. We are currently out of bread, Eggo waffles (this is one of Carson's main source of nutrition), Almond milk, yogurt, almost all fruit, and granola. Okay, the granola is my fault, I just need to make some more, I even have all the ingredients. Not sure what I was doing in my kitchen all day yesterday because I sure wasn't baking up stuff that I could really use this week.

***************************************************************************************************

Okay, so let's get back to me and my injury.

Rochelle told me last week that she wanted me to wear the boot for an extra week, and Craig at OK Runner said about the same. This was after he lectured me about wearing a flat shoe with my boot, something about causing hip issues on top of the stress fracture. I swear all I do all day is sit at a desk, I am kinda sick of wearing one running shoe all the time. It doesn't match my slacks. I think that mentally it's going to be MUCH harder for me to not be running once the boot comes off. As long as I have it on I am constantly reminded why I'm not running. When it comes off and I'm walking around like a normal person I'm just gonna feel like a slacker not running.

Man, I thought running was hard, not running is even harder!

So for the last three weeks I've been going to Donna B's spin class three times a week. I am so thankful for her killer spin classes. Spin is not boring; I don't care what anyone says. If it is then you've got the wrong instructor. If you aren't panting for breath and sweating your butt off, then you are clearly doing it wrong. You are getting you booty all sore for no good reason.

Spinning is so different than running. When I go out and run I like that I am able to chat about my day with my friends no matter what our pace is. Even when we are feeling like we are killing ourselves I always feel like I can have a conversation. Spinning is not like that at all. When I am working hard I can barely breath much less try to have a conversation. And don't get me started on the amount of sweating that goes on in that spin class. I am horrified to think of how dirty that floor is. I sure hope they clean it more often than I suspect they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment