Monday, January 9, 2012

New Things Week One

For 2012, I decided that I would try one new thing a week and then blog about it.  Not sure if they will all be food related or not, but for week one it is.

My friend Rochelle, knowing that I love all things vegetarian gave me a recipe for Veggie Crock Pot Lasagna.  How easy is it to throw all the ingredients for lasagna into a crock pot and then wait four hours and eat?  While I do love the idea of made from scratch I just had to give it a try.

019

It’s nice to find a new recipe that has most ingredients that I usually keep in my pantry.  Except for the ricotta and the can of spaghetti sauce which I just happened to have, I usually keep the other items on hand.

020

It’s amazing, you just layer it in there and then let it cook.  Overall, it was a good recipe.  Easy to assemble, and then you don’t have to think about it.  I might use a little more sauce next time, and not try to cover every part of the lasagna noodle layers I always forget that the noodles expand.  I also cooked it for a little too long, the bottom layer of noodles were a little burnt.

I used all mushrooms this time and I didn’t put them in the food processor, I just did a rough chop.

It was very tasty though and I will make it again.  I love being able to tweak a new recipe after the first try.

Here’s the recipe:

Crock Pot Veggie Lasagna (Serves 6-8)

2 Cups Zucchini, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mushrooms and/or Spinach
1 15 oz Container Ricotta Cheese
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1 Tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Large Egg
1 25 oz Jar Pasta Sauce
1 Box Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated

1. Place the vegetables in a food processor and pulse to roughly chop.
2. Place the ricotta, parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic powder, salt and egg in a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Pour half of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a crock pot.
4. Place a layer of noodles on top of the sauce, covering the entire surface, breaking the noodles to fit the pot.
5. Layer half of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, followed by 1 cup of the chopped vegetables and then one cup of mozzarella cheese.
6. Repeat with another layer of noodles, followed by the remaining ricotta mixture and the chopped vegetables.
7. Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top of the lasagna and top with the remaining cup of the grated cheese.
8. Cook on low for 4 hours.
9. Serve.

Next up Brussels sprouts.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

Post a Comment