Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow Day, Day Three...

The scene outside our front window still looks like a winter wonderland.  Today is day three of sub-freezing temps here in Oklahoma.  Today is also the third snow day for the kiddos, funny how if the temps don't get above freezing everything stays frozen.

Tuesday, my office was actually closed, which has never happened in the 13+ years that I have worked there.  It was nice to have a real snow day.  I got to do some baking.

Homemade cinnamon rolls.  I got this recipe off of the Pioneer Woman's website.  I got the dough going on Monday evening, so it only took about an hour to have them all baked up on Tuesday morning.  It was my second attempt at this recipe, and they were well worth the work, and a million times better than anything you get from a can.

Carson even had one, and though she claims to not like cinnamon, she claimed they were better than the ones that come out of the can.  From her, that is high praise.


My free day of baking meant that I had to make cookies.  Last week, Carson was making her lunch and she got the last sugar cookie and looked at me and said "Mom, you need to bake some more cookies."  That's when it hit me, I have created a couple of monsters.  Ha!  I love that they love my homemade cookies.

I went with the chocolate crackle cookies that was reference on a blog that I follow.  The recipe is on Martha Stewart's website.  I did change it up a bit, using melted semi-sweet chocolate, and I added some mini chocolate chips to the batter, because more chocolate = better, right?

They turned out super chocolaty and they actually fit the theme of snow with their powdered sugar coating.  Yum.


The baking didn't end there.  I also baked a loaf of white bread.  I aspire to bake my own bread.  I have gotten pretty good at dinner rolls, and I just love the look of homemade dough after it has risen.  I must say the honey white bread turned out great.  I might try a second loaf today.  I do like knowing exactly what is in it, and it only has three tablespoons of honey and no sugar in it so that's a plus.  I made grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch yesterday and they were great with leftover potato soup I made on Tuesday.

No baking on Wednesday, as I had to log in and get some work done, and I'll have to get some work done from here today if I can get into my computer.  But I might be able to fit something in.

So for now, it's a winter wonderland outside, Josh should almost be to work now, and the girls are asleep in Carson's room.  She happens to have the warmest room in the house, I swear the temperature is about 15 degrees warmer than anywhere else in the house.  We set up the air mattress and Camy has been sleeping in there because her room can get pretty chilly.

Thankfully, the Norman Y will be open again today.  I've gotta get a workout in this afternoon, all this baking, cooking and sitting around is starting to catch up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment