Thursday, October 7, 2010

Race for the Cure...

So Saturday is the Race for the Cure in OKC.  I so love this event.  This is the first race that I have done religiously.  Jen and Karen and I did the first one with the three of us back in 2001, when my kiddos were little bitty.  (Carson is still little bitty, but she is 10 now.)

I can't remember if it was that year or in 2002 when we bet Jen breakfast that she couldn't run the whole thing.  She says she ran the whole thing, but we'll never know because Karen and I ran about 100 yards and we were done.  I believe we bought breakfast that day so what can you do, ask for a refund if she cheated?

We formed our team the Sooner Girls for the Cure the next year and have been participating with a bunch of friends an co-workers since then.  I was a little sad this year that I didn't get to register our team.  I organized a team at work and we chose to go with the company name instead of my team name.  Oh well, what can you do?  Especially when your work agrees to pay $30 of each registration for all employees that want to participate.

My work team has almost 50 people on it!  Not bad for our first year, I say first because I am hoping we will be able to do this again next year.

So Saturday morning, I'll put on my running shoes and my team shirt and head to the Bricktown Ballpark at the crack of dawn.  (Not really the crack of dawn for me, since I will actually be sleeping in compared to my usually 5 am wake up calls.)  My girls will get a bunch of free pink stuff and I'll run with some of my Y friends and we'll see how good we can do.  Maybe break 27 minutes?  We'll see.

As always, I'll carry the memories of my mom with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment